If there was to be a tagline for Kylie, it would be that she does death differently. And appropriately, it is exactly the way we want our lives to be remembered and celebrated. It doesn’t occur to us to speak publicly about what happens to us when we die, but I think it’s essential.
In a humble and respectfully funny way, Kylie Mouat, from Kazique Creative Funeral Events, helps us to understand the industry of death and funerals and explains why we need to be real and hands-on in the process of planning either our loved ones’ or our own final life celebration.
Kylie helps us to learn:
- The two things we’re guaranteed in life
- How the death of her mother inspired the creation of her funeral services business
- What elements of Kylie’s career and experience have lead to perfect production and event facilitation
- Why talking about death is necessary to live a full life
- Why a funeral is really a Life Celebration and a wake is an After Party
- What is involved with planning your own funeral and why you must be involved before you no longer can
- What the funeral process is and what your rights are as a grieving family member
- What the LGBTQ community need to know about their rights for the planning of their significant others funeral
- How to capture your memories in a portfolio of your life to support the celebration that is who you are
A bonus that we didn’t discuss but is well worth watching is the SBS Insight episode called Grand Finale, on which Kylie was a participant. It’s where I got the idea to be shot up as fireworks when I die.
We’d love to hear how you’d like to do death differently. If you’ve got questions for Kylie or I post a comment below or hit us up on Facebook.
“The honour, the joy & fulfillment I get from seeing ease of pain far outweighs any sadness.”
Kylie Mouat talking about why she does death differently.
Episode Gratitude: Vanessa Phillips for the show notes, Junel Estafia for sound engineering, compilation of the music and final editing of this episode and to Yiju Wei for his Web Wizardry. I couldn’t do this without you, you’re legends!